How to Store – Storage Tips
After choosing the right storage facility that fits your needs, it is essential that you pack your belongings in the storage unit correctly. We care about your belongings. Here are storage tips to consider for preventing damage and how to pack your unit:
- Use quality boxes and always pack them completely so they don’t collapse when stacked.
- Number or label boxes for easy identification.
- Place a protection barrier between concrete floor and your belongings.
- Leave air space between items and the walls for ventilation.
- Clean all appliances thoroughly before storing them.
- Place items you are going to access the most in the front of the unit, and the ones you will never need during your stay, in the rear of the unit.
- For security purposes, place the most valuable items at the back of the storage unit.
- Shelving helps to maximize the access of your items.
- Make sure you secure your unit with a superior lock.
- Be sure everything you pack is clean and dry to prevent mold and mildew.
- Always put the heavy items on the bottom and light or awkward items on the top.
- Do not store perishables, such as food.
- Do not store flammable items such as fireworks or gasoline.
- Visit your unit periodically to check the condition of it and your possessions.
- Sweep out the unit at times.
- Thoroughly clean, disinfect and dry refrigerators, freezers, stoves and other appliances. Appliances with doors can be stored with the door slightly open, and some can be stacked on top of each other.
- You want to make sure, if space allows, to leave an aisle for easy access to the items in the rear of the unit.
Sources: Self Storage Association (SSA)